In the middle of reading something for my design of online communities class in my dimly lit room, my mind began to wander and I started counting all the LEDs in my room. Like most people my age, my room is my office as well so I have all of my personal technology there.
How many LEDs are on in your room at night and what devices do they come from?
I count 19 LEDs from 8 devices:
- HP LaserJet 1012 printer
- Logitech Z-2200 speakers (if I forget to turn them off)
- MacBook Pro: MagSafe connector and annoying pulsing white LED
- Slinglink Turbo (serving as an ethernet hub)
- Belkin surge protector
- Dell display in standby (again, usually off but sometimes I leave it in standby)
- alarm clock
- my file server (3 from the NIC, 1 from the motherboard, 4 from the overpriced fan)
It looks a little something like this. (not all LEDs visible from this angle)
A twist on this question could be how loud is your tech at night. One of my friends sleeps with 2 1U servers under his bed and that's like having a hairdryer on in your room 24/7. Your regularly scheduled content will resume later this week after I deal with an exam or three.