Those of you that are familiar with G4TechTV and the show Call for Help have no doubt heard of Amber MacArthur. You'd be hard pressed to find something online that Amber hasn't been involved with. She's helped me out many times in the past, so I thought I would return the favor with a short and sweet interview. Enjoy!
1) Tell us a bit about yourself - what you do, what you've done and what you want to do.
I'm an Internet and technology junkie, so I make a living talking about my hobby on television at Citytv in Toronto where I'm reporter and host a show called Webnation. Before Citytv, I was a TV host for two years at G4TechTV alongside tech God Leo Laporte (who is also a mentor and dear friend). Prior to my detour into television, I worked as a web strategist and usability expert at Microsoft Canada, a software start-up in San Francisco, and Razorfish. I also worked as a TV reporter at CBC in Charlottetown, PEI, which is my hometown. I have a post-grad in Journalism and an undergrad in English (BA).
2) What has your experience at CityNews been like so far?
CityNews has been a fantastic learning experience for me. Although I work in a giant-sized newsroom, it's been a blast working with a small team of producers, editors, and photo journalists on CityNews International and Webnation. Basically I have the flexibility to cover the stories I find interesting, so I can't ask for much more.
3) What do you do when you're not blogging or vidcasting?
When I'm not blogging, working, or video blogging I am sleeping - and dreaming about the Internet.
4) Is your primary computer still that 12-inch PowerBook from back in the early CommandN days?
My primary computer is now my 13" MacBook. I sawed a hole in my PowerBook (to hook up a heavy-duty wireless antenna), so I gave it to my brother's wife hoping that it will still work for the better part of this year.
5) Your line of work has allowed you to meet a lot of cool people - Leo Laporte, Merlin Mann, Kevin Rose and many more. Which one has had a lasting impression on you?
Leo Laporte has been an amazing influence on how I cover technology. He's taught me that PR people are bad and tech geeks are good ;). I also adore Merlin Mann; he is one of the funniest people I know. As for Kevin Rose, I admire him for his dedication to Digg and all his various projects, and for introducing me to the wonderful land of green tea.
and finally, pimp 3 links of your choice
- My show at Citytv: Webnation - citynews.ca/webnation
- My video podcast: commandN - commandn.tv
- My blog: Amber Mac - ambermac.com